Learning to count can be such fun when you include a little snow and trains! I’m sharing with you a number train game to encourage your child to learn their numbers with a winter spin.
Grab your snowflakes and it’s all aboard!
There’s is something quite magical about children and their interest in trains. This winter creates this playful snowflake train game for your child to help them learn to count one to one and recognize their numbers.
Here’s what you will need…
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon
Grab the Book The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
Take a moment and read the featured book of the book. The Little Engine That Could is an fun and inspirational favorite, and the Little Blue Engine’s rallying mantra “I think I can–I think I can” will keep your child motivated for a lifetime in the inner thoughts of every child who reads those words.
Directions for Number Train Game
1. Cut out 10 rectangles using a plain sheet of paper or solid color. Make them approximately 2×4 inches.
2. Use patterned scrapbook paper or different color to cut out 20 small circles for train wheels.
3. Use pattern scrapbook paper to cut out numbers for trains. You can also just use the marker to write the numbers with your child.
My 5 year old preschooler assembled her train all on her own by glueing down the wheel pieces and number pieces.
Younger children would need assistance and perhaps reduce the numbers you use from 1-5. Older kids could even work on counting by tens, fives or even have multiplication problems on the train. The other option is to start to load in parts to begin to discuss odd and even numbers if you have two different colors or styles of snowflakes.
4. Once your train is dry it’s time to play the snowflake train game! Encourage your child to line up all of the trains in number order.
5. Place the snowflakes onto each train to match the number on the train. Keep playing until all the train cars have the correct number of snowflakes.
Watch a Video of The Little Engine that Could when you are done on youtube.
The Virtual Book Club for Kids is featuring activities to go with the book The Little Engine that Could. Take a moment to visit their sites and be inspired by their train themed activities for your child.
Click here to see the other books featured at our Virtual Book Club for Kids
Homeschooling can be both busy and challenging. We are thrilled to introduce our Homeschool Hub, our new online tool that...Read more
abc alphabets phonics song kids learn abc alphabets @PpluchiklukidsTV abc alphabets phonics song kids learning with fun ...Read more
Credit: Amazon Your student just got accepted into their dream college and has finally been matched to their dorm. The...Read more
If you're a homeschool mom or dad, and you've ever felt overwhelmed, then this is the video for you. If...Read more
If you have a Disney fan at your house, you will love these free printable disney word searches! This set...Read more