This school bus activity is perfect for the first day of school. Grab our free school printable template and you are ready to work on early literacy skills as kindergarten and first graders match rhyming words. This rhyming words activity focuses on rhyming cvc words for a gentle back to school reading activity for kids.
School bus activity
Learning to rhyme is an essential skill for young children, as it helps develop their phonological awareness and pre-reading abilities. Making rhymes enjoyable and engaging is the key to fostering their interest in language and literacy. In this blog post, we are sharing an engaging cvc activities called “On the Bus Read and Match the Rhyming CVC Word Cards.” This easy-to-use printable resource will provide endless fun while reinforcing rhyming skills for children.
School Bus Printable
Match Rhyming Words
- A4 paper
The “On the Bus Read and Match the Rhyming CVC Word Cards” activity combines the joy of rhyming words with a playful bus-themed game. The printable resource includes a vibrant illustration of a bus and a set of CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) word cards. The short vowels included are a, e, i, o and u.
Rhyming words activity
Rhyming words are an important aspect of early childhood language development. They help children recognize patterns, improve phonological awareness, and enhance their overall reading and writing skills.
Engaging children in interactive and playful activities is an effective way to make learning enjoyable and memorable. In this blog post, we introduce a CVC rhyming words printable activity centered around the theme of campfires and marshmallows.
I always encourage kids to identify the CVC word first, then to look for the rhyming word on the slice.
After you’ve printed and laminated (optional) the cards, place them on the table and show the kids what they need to do.
Back to school activities
- Begin by printing out the bus template and the word cards.
- Cut out the individual word cards carefully, ensuring that the words are clear.
- Lay out the bus template and the word cards on a flat surface.
- Ask the child to read each word card aloud and place that card onto the bus on the far right hand side corner.
- Encourage the child to find the word card that rhymes with the word printed on the bus. For example, if the bus has the word “cat,” the child should look for the word card with a rhyming word like “hat” or “mat.”
- Once the child identifies the correct rhyming word card, ask them to place it onto the bus, creating a delightful rhyme.
- They continue to do this to rhyme different CVC words.
The “On the Bus Read and Match the Rhyming CVC Word Cards” activity offers several benefits for young children.
- Firstly, it enhances their phonological awareness by helping them recognize and produce rhyming words.
- Additionally, the activity promotes vocabulary development as children associate written words with short vowel sounds.
- It also improves language comprehension as children listen attentively and make connections between words.
- Lastly, the activity aids in the development of fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination through cutting out word cards and placing them onto the bus.
Overall, this engaging and interactive printable resource provides a fun and effective way for children to learn and reinforce rhyming skills as well as short vowel sounds (CVC)
Back to School Activities
- Back to School BINGO, Back to School Lego Challenge First Week of School Activities, cute and Easy Pencil Craft
- Pencil yellow baking soda slime, free printable back to school notes, pencil alphabet matching and free printable playdough mats
- School Bus Beginning Sounds First Day of School Activities, Pencil themed Fraction Puzzles, School Bus Letter Matching Game
- What Comes Next Back to School Math, Crayon Box Letter Matching Back to School Activity , cute Crayon Box Craft to work on learning colors
- Back to School themed Number Matching Activity, Crayon Box CVC Words Activity, Free Hand Washing Printables
- Back to School Activity Count to 20 Clip Cards, Pencil themed Counting Puzzles for Preschoolers, printable Back to School ABC Games, Back to School Theme Preschool, school bus non-standard measurment activities
- School Bus Letter Matching Puzzles – First Day of School Activities, Lots of clever Back to School Crafts or these Back to School Crafts ideas
- Back to School Pencil Punctuation Activities, Glue Stick rhyming activities, Playdough Counting Mat Bus Activities for Preschoolers
First Day of School Printables
Back to School Printables
We have lots of other fun, clever back to school worksheets to help kids get excited about going back to school! Check out these free resources:
All About Me Printables
CVC Words Activities
We have lots more cvc word practice with tons of free printable worksheets and fun cvc activities!
- CVC short a – Short a Worksheets Cut & paste Booklet, Pirate cvc words short a, Short A Books free Emergent Reader
- CVC short e – Short e CVC Words Cut & Paste Booklet, Detective Short e cvc worksheets
- CVC short i – Short i Words cvc worksheets cut and paste pdf, Short I Words Emergent Reader, Farm short i cvc words worksheets
- CVC short o – Short o Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet, Scarecrow Short o Words Printable
- CVC short u – Short u Worksheets Cut & Paste Booklet, Short u CVC words Printable cut and paste activity
- Super cute and handy, Free CVC Puzzles, Crayon CVC Words Activity
- CVC words with pictures pdf Clip Cards, Roll and Read CVC Sentences, Missing Vowels Puzzles Free Clip Cards
- Color-the-Letter to spell CVCe Worksheets, free Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets, Peter Pan CVC Coloring Pages,, Crack the Code CVC Words Worksheets
- Free Printable Short Vowel Worksheets, Dab-a-Dot CVC Worksheets Mazes, Monster Match CVC Words Worksheets, Free, Black and White CVC Crack the Code Worksheets, Caterpillar Spring CVC Words
- Farm CVC Words Practice, Sundae CVC words worksheets for kindergarten pdf free, Heart Penguin CVC Words
- “at” CVC Word family worksheets pdf
- Secret CVC Words Worksheets – Beginning Sounds with Magnetic Letters or Hands-on CVC Word Activity
- Ice Cream CVC Word ActivitiesSeasonal: Scarecrow Fall CVC Words, Build a Snowman Winter CVC Words Practice, Ice Cream CVC Word Match & Build, Spring Bird CVC Word Activity, Bee CVC Worrksheets pdf
- Star Wars CVC Games, Cooking Up Rhymes: Read & Dab CVC Words Activity, Going on a Bear Hunt CVC Games Online, Baseball CVC Rhyming Words, Lion Rhyming Words Activity, Popsicle Rhyme & Dab CVC Words Practice, Airplane Rhyming Words CVC Words Worksheets
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity, Hands-on CVC Words valentine cvc worksheets
- CVC Words: Beginning Sound Activities, Middle Sound Activities Clip Cards, CVC Ending Sounds clip cards (or version 2), CVC Ending Sounds Clip Cards or this other set of CVC Ending Sound clip cards
- CVC Games pdf – Word Bump or Color by CVC Words Worksheets
- See TONS of fun an dfree CVC Activities here plus cvc word family worksheets here
CVC Words Printables
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
> Bus Activity Template <<