Practice long a words that are spelled witht he ei vowel team with this super cute, free printable Roll and Color Apples Game! This ei sound phonics activity is a great way to help first grade students practice all the different spellings of long a vowels.
ei vowel team
If you want your little one to be familiar with all the ways to make the long a sound, this “ei” roll and color game is a fun way to practice the words where the “ei” makes the long a sound. This month we have been working on ways to make the long a sound. We have learned that there are so many ways to make the long a sound. There are common ways, like ai (rain) and ay (pray). And there are the not-so-common ways like “ea” (great) and ey (obey).
This week we are working on the “ei”. For some reason, this has been a tricky one for my little girl. And she has needed a lot more support as we maneuvered through this lesson. So a fun game that also focuses on fine motor skills (if you choose to have them color the apple tree), was a needed break from the grueling task of mastering this sound.
“ei” Makes the Long A Sound
Many of you may remember growing up with the rhyme, “i before e, except after c, and in words like neighbor and weigh.” Well, today we get to focus on the part that says, “in words like neighbor and weigh”
You may notice that both those words have the “eigh”. And that is true, words that have “eigh” make the long a sound. But you will also see that words with just “ei” make the long a sound too.
Some are more common words, and others may need a little explanation. Here are a couple of fun ones that your child may need help understanding.
- vein – We have veins in our body that carry blood toward the heart.
- rein – Be sure to rein in your spending.
- reign – Peter reigned over Narina in The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.
- feign – In basketball, the offense fell for the defense’s feign.
- neigh – Did you hear the horse neigh while we were in the field.
- deign – Will the king deign to make an appearance at our party?
- veil – The bride looked for the perfect veil to complement her dress.
- beige – The uniform requires you to wear beige pants.
ei Sound Phonics
This requires very little work before it is ready to use.
- First, print off the pages you want to use.
- Next, get some crayons or Do-A-Dot markers.
- Finally, get a die.
And you are ready to go.
Playing this “ei” game is super easy. Have player 1 roll the die. Whatever number the die lands on, they will find that number on one of the apples in the apple tree. For example, if the die lands on 1, then they would find the 1 on an apple and reads that word. For one of the appletrees that is heirloom.
Player 2 then rolls and repeats the same process.
The same pattern continues, roll, read, and color (or dot) until one player has colored in all of the apples.
It is that simple to play this “ei” game that gets children reading “long a” words.
Long A Vowels
If you are looking for more ways to work on reading and spelling long a words, we have a lot of free printable worksheets and activities to make it easy. There are lots of common Ways to Make the “Long A” Sound, so I’ve seperated printables and games by spelling on long a phonics words. Identifying long and short vowel sounds worksheets pdf
- ai and ay are vowel teams that make that are very common ways to achieve the “long a” sound. “ai” is used in the middle of words like rain and remain. The “ay” is used at the end of words or syllable such as pray or maybe.
- Then of course we could use the magic e, such as adding “e” to cap. Once the “e” is added, the a is not short, it makes the “long a” sound, cape.
- And lastly, open door syllables, syllables that end with a vowel, will make the “long a” sound. a/gent and ta/bel.
- eigh – Words like weight and neighbor have the “long a” sound
- ea – Though normally “ea” makes the “long e” sound, sometimes it will make the “long a” in words like great and steak.
- Three Sounds of ea game
- And finally, we have “ey”. Words like prey and obey have the “long a” sound. And today’s game helps your little ones recognize the words that say the “long a” with the “ey”.
We’ve got so many fun preschool alphabet crafts , apple activities, September crafts, September Activities, and free apple printables for you to play and learn with kids this fall!
- FREE Apple Prek Worksheets or apple worksheets preschool
- Apple Recipes for Kids, plus how to make homemade applesauce and yummy best apple recipes
- ACTIVITIES – scented apple pie playdough, super soft apple playdough recipe no cook, apple pie playdough, fun apple pie slime, fluffy apple slime (yellow), laffy taffy apple slime (green), and September activities for kids
- ALPHABET – letter recognition apple activity, apple letter tracing worksheets, Apple ABC Game, a is for apple printable letter sounds apple book, a is for apple tracing worksheet, a is for apple printable alphabet mats, sticker a for apple activity,
- LANGUAGE ARTS – alphabet apple lacing craft, apple pre-k sight words tracing strips, apple sight words printable activity, synonym and antonym worksheets, apple compounds words worksheet grade 1, apple noun and verb sort, and free September writing prompts
- SCIENCE – errupting apple science expeirment, free apple investigation worksheet, apple life cycle printable spinner, apple volcano, apple browning experiment with free worksheet, apple life cycle printable pages, skittle apple science experiment, melting apple science experiment, apple stem activity
- COUNTING – apple count to 20 free printable hole punch activities, apple i spy printables for preschoolers, count to 20 apple playdough mats, hole punch apple counting, apple counting coloring pages, apple counting spin and count on ten frame, apple counting worksheet, free apple counting worksheets, apple counting worksheet, apple seed counting to 20 activity, and count to 20 apple playdough mats, apple roll and cover number sense game
- MATH – hands-on apple number bonds activity, math worksheets for kindergarten, adding within 10 apple math, apple multiplication game, apple fractions game, fall unifix cube pattern cards, counting seeds apple worksheets, and sticker addition worksheets, multiplication apple math for 2nd and 3rd graders
- CRAFTS – cute apple handprint craft, parts of an apple craft, bubble wrap apple craft, Johnny appleseed addition coloring worksheets, lacing paper plate apple craft, stunning apple art preschool, paper plate apple core craft, and September crafts
- Check out these apple books for preschoolers, free apple worksheets preschool, how to make an apple pie and see the world activity, fun Johnny Appleseed activities, free Johnny Appleseed coloring pages, or our apple theme preschool
ei words phonics
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
> Apple Long A Coloring Pages <<